Saturday 31 October 2009

beef madras


Inspired by the trip into Luton's Bury Park and a HUGE bunch of coriander, we had Beef Madras for a couple of meals.
I always get a bit carried away and add too much curry paste which makes it too salty and therefore... I throw a few chopped potatoes in. And lots of chopped spinach - which is more substantial than English spinach and a bit like silverbeet. I found that and the beautiful vine tomatoes in one of the many Asian grocery stores too.

This is the recipe I nearly followed. (If you use this amount of surry paste, the amount of salt won't be an issue).

MADRAS BEEF CURRY
Fry 1 sliced onion in vegetable oil for 8 mins. Lower the heat and add 4 cloves, 4 green cardamons, 2 whole star anise, 4 fresh grn choppped chillies, 2 fresh or dried chopped red chillies, 3 tbspn madras paste, 1 tsp tumeric.

Fry for a further 3 mins. Add 450 g lean diced beef , cover and cook until the beef is tender, approx 1hr. (I added around 200ml of water here).

Then, due to the saltiness of my curry, I added 3 chopped potatoes and 3 large chopped vine tomatoes. Cook for approx 40mins on a low heat until all ingredients are tender.

Finish with 1 bunch cooked and drained spinach and 3 tbsp tamarind paste.

And sprinkle a lot of coriander over the top.

I served ours with low fat creme fraiche (we didn't have any natural yoghurt) and mango chutney as it packs quite a heat punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment